Overview of Northcliff House College
Grade R – 12
Northcliff House College is a well-established independent, co-educational school for a new and innovative generation. NHC caters for learners from Grade R – 12 (National Senior Certificate) and is growing rapidly.
Northcliff House College is a developing independent, coeducational school for a new, innovative generation.
- We cater for children from Grade R to Grade 12.
- The school was born out of a need to provide quality education and a fresh alternative to traditional education in Hermanus.
- It has at its heart a deep commitment to blend, traditional values and principles with the modern need for social responsibility and leadership.
- It recognises that educating our youth in traditional values, morals and ethics while equipping them with essential life skills and knowledge, is essential to secure their future.
- This quality, Dual-medium education is offered in small classes with 1-7/1-10 pupil: teacher ratio.
- A pupil centred approach, modern curriculum design and committed educators ensure the fulfilment of these ideals. By ensuring that the class environment is small and that personal interaction takes place between learners and teachers, a positive academic environment can be created.
- The locality of the school, set in the natural beauty of Hermanus has been ideal for propagating a “homely“ environment that is safe and secure for all learners and staff.
Northcliff House Background
- Through working with other schools in the area the principal identified a need for an educational institution for children who do not fit into the mainstream educational system.
- Several of these learners had special needs, suffering either from a learning disability or behavioural problems.
- The school has a Special Needs class that caters for learners with all kind of problems.
- Northcliff House College was established in May 2001 with 5 learners, this quickly grew to 9 learners.
- It was first started as a “home schooling centre”, but as its reputation grew more learners enrolled.
- It soon registered as an independent school.
- Over 300 pupils have already made it their home and as the word continues to be spread, the school is geared towards establishing itself as an independent school of excellence.
- It has already produced successes and impacted the local community and environment in ways that many schools do not achieve.
- Unique, stimulating opportunities from grade 3, pupils are made aware of the intricacies and wonder of nature and are taken on educational excursions. eg, Vogelgat Reserve, Grootbos Nature Reserve and Fernkloof
- Reserve and a firm favourite is shark-cage diving.
- We strive to develop a strong sense of self-worth, accountability and encourage creative and critical thinking in all areas.
- Firm, positive discipline lays an ethical foundation for dealing with the pressures of an increasingly demanding and complex world.
- A wide range of academic activities provides a firm foundation for individual expression and the attaining of goals.
- Areas like debating and participation in The Junior Town Council is encouraged as well as participation in Eisteddfods and Art competitions.