A Message from the Principal
Northcliff House College have done it again! Well done to the class of 2023 with their 100% pass rate and we wish the class of 2024 all the best.
As usual the teachers of NHC has gone well beyond the call of duty to ensure that each and every learner reached their full potential. The small classes of about 12 learners per grade makes us unique and the ratio of teacher to learners can not be found anywhere in the Hermanus area. The staff have years of experience and know how to help and guide each individual learner.
NHC would also like to thank the parents who actively supports their learners alongside the teachers. This is not only for achieving academically but also as future leaders and sport people.
‘Mainstreaming’ or ‘Integration’ ‘Inclusion’
Mainstreaming is about getting learners to ‘fit into’ a system. Inclusion is about recognising and a kind of system or integrating them into this respecting the differences among all existing system, learners and building on the similarities.
Inclusion is about supporting all learners, even with extra support, so that they can ‘fit in’ or be integrated by educators and the system. A ‘normal’ classroom routine.
Learners are assessed by specialists who diagnose and prescribe what levels can be met. (Specialists in Hermanus). The focus is on teaching interventions, with the emphasis on Independent learning program and on the development of good teaching strategies that will be of benefit to all learners. The focus is on the adaptation of and support of the learner within the systems available in the classroom.
Overview of the Education Provided by Northcliff House College
Grade R – 12
Northcliff House College is a well-established independent, co-educational school for a new and innovative generation. Northcliff House College caters for learners from Grade R – 12 (National Senior Certificate) and is growing rapidly.
Northcliff House College is an established independent, co-educational school
- We cater for children from Grade R to Grade 12.
- The school was born out of a need to provide quality education and a fresh alternative to traditional education in Hermanus.
- It has at its heart a deep commitment to blend, traditional values and principles with the modern need for social responsibility and leadership.
- It recognises that educating our youth in traditional values, morals and ethics while equipping them with essential life skills and knowledge, is essential to secure their future.
- This quality, Dual-medium education is offered in small classes with 1-7/1-15 pupil: teacher ratio.
- A pupil centered approach, modern curriculum design and committed educators ensure the fulfillment of these ideals. By ensuring that the class environment is small and that personal interaction takes place between learners and teachers, a positive academic environment can be created.
- The locality of the school, set in the natural beauty of Hermanus has been ideal for propagating a “homely“ environment that is safe and secure for all learners and staff.
About our Education at Northcliff House College
- Through working with other schools in the area the principal identified a need for an educational institution for children who do not fit into the mainstream educational system.
- Northcliff House College was established in May 2000 with 5 learners, this quickly grew to 9 learners.
- It was first started as a “home schooling centre”, but as its reputation grew more learners enrolled.
- It soon registered as an independent school.
- It has already produced successes and impacted the local community and environment in ways that many schools do not achieve.
- We strive to develop a strong sense of self-worth, accountability and encourage creative and critical thinking in all areas.
- Firm, positive discipline lays an ethical foundation for dealing with the pressures of an increasingly demanding and complex world.
- Areas like debating and participation in The Junior Town Council is encouraged as well as participation in Eisteddfods and Art competitions.